The bold role that Guernsey’s governance professionals can play in ‘Managing Risk, Leading Change’ is the theme of this year’s ICSA: The Governance Institute’s annual conference in Guernsey.
Taking place tomorrow at the St Pierre Park Hotel, the conference will focus on the challenges and potential benefits that Brexit, blockchain, GDPR and UK Corporate Governance Code revisions might offer Guernsey.
“As regulation of financial services continues to tighten and political uncertainly in the UK and Europe creates greater instability in the market, Guernsey’s governance professionals have an opportunity totake the wheel and be at the forefront of thinking, innovation and technology in governance, risk andcompliance,” says Sara Bourne, Chair of ICSA’s Guernsey Branch.
“The conference is the ideal forum for company secretaries and other governance professionals to get to grips with the issues and opportunities facing Guernsey. We also have sessions designed to improve individual and organisational effectiveness with a number of speakers joining us from off-island.”
Speakers at the conference include:
- Catherine Barnard, Professor of EU Law at Cambridge University who will be looking at ‘Brexit and Business’
- Eminent business psychologist Aidan Kearney will be showing delegates how to apply principles based in neuroscience, organisational behaviour and psychology to the workplace
- Stuart Lawson, Product Manager, Northern Trust who will be offering invaluable user insight into blockchain technology
- Peter Swabey, Policy and Research Director at ICSA will be considering guidance by ICSA and the Investment Association into ‘The Stakeholder Voice in Board Decision Making’
- Emma Martins, Data Protection and Information Commissioner, Guernsey and Richard Bray, Director, Active Management Services Limited will be discussing the company secretary’s role in ensuring compliance with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation
- Tony Mancini, Partner, KPMG will be reviewing the ‘Common Reporting Standard: one year on’
- Charis Evans, Business Development Director at ICSA will be presenting new initiatives for company secretaries and governance professionals, part of ‘A new agenda for ICSA: The Governance Institute.’