The Jersey led ‘Grand Choeur Organ spectacular’ brings some of the UK’s top organists together to raise awareness of musicians’ issues.
Take a slightly mad idea to link-up some friends to make music together and you never know what can happen!
Francis Murton, Director of Music at Victoria College here in Jersey has brought friends from around the world together to perform in an online concert for people to enjoy. In return, the musicians ask that people donate to Help Musicians and Mind Jersey so that people who have experienced difficulty can be supported.
Francis explained to Channel Eye: “I started my plan of a monthly online concert around the parishes in January and wondered how I could link some friends in the UK. As a result, many friends jumped at the opportunity and I have been overwhelmed by the positive support from friends in the UK, Ireland, France, Italy and Dubai.
“I am also grateful to Ed Balls, well known as a former Labour Shadow Chancellor and ‘Strictly’ contestant was very keen to add his support and will be introducing the concert on Friday evening.
“In this pandemic, musicians have been unable to work and many have had to find other ways to keep body and soul together. We are raising funds for two important charities who support people who have suffered through the pandemic and we would like you to donate if you enjoy the music.”
With an endorsement from Jersey’s own Lieutenant Governor, Sir Stephen Dalton, the concert features footage of the island, and performances by Francis Murton and Malcolm Whittell in Jersey.
The title of the concert comes from the first piece ‘Grand Choeur Dialogue’ by Eugene Gigout. It features multiple players from around the world playing famous organs together including Coventry, Hereford and Liverpool cathedrals.
- Friday 23rd April 2021 at 7pm
- Click here to register for this event.
- For further information please contact Francis Murton Francis Murton
- Thomas Ospital (St Eustache, Paris)
- Anna Lapwood, (Director of Music, Pembroke College Cambridge)
- Sarah MacDonald (Director of Music, Selwyn College Cambridge and Ely Cathedral)
- Callum Algar (St Peter’s Collegiate Church, Wolverhampton)
- Peter Dyke (Assistant Director of Music, Hereford Cathedral)
- Catherine Lamb (Lichfield)
- Rachel Mahon (Director of Music, Coventry Cathedral)
- Martyn Marshall (Director of Music, Great Yarmouth Minster)
- Simon Mercer (Organ Tutor, JRNCM)
- James Short (Organist, St Mark’s, Florence)
- Kate Silverman (St Mary’s, Battersea)
- James Speakman (Director of Music, St John’s Notting Hill)
- David Stevenson-Price (Director of Music, Portsmouth Cathedral)
- Bartoz Thiede, (Director of Music St Canice Cathedral, Kilkenny)
- George de Voil (Wellington College)
- Lee Ward (Director of Music, Liverpool Cathedral)
- Malcolm Whittell
- Francis Murton (Director of Music at Victoria College)
- Malcolm Whittell (St Luke’s, Jersey)
- Tom Dilley (The Queen’s College, Oxford)
- Emily Evans (Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge)
- Adam Field (Portsmouth Cathedral)
- Charles Francis (Birmingham Cathedral)
- Harvey Stansfield (Coventry Cathedral)