Eamon Fenlon, Chairman of the Jersey Young Enterprise Board said: “We are absolutely delighted that during this very strange period in our shared history, we can support our young people at this critical time in their education. As an employer myself, I know that it is those students who have extra experience, extra skills and evidence of pro-activeness that enable them stand out from the crowd.
“The Young Enterprise Student Company competition which has been shaped through many lessons learned over the past few years, offers all Jersey based 6th form students the opportunity to network with their peers, learn new skills. Through first-hand experience they will discover that it takes more than just academic know-how to run a successful company.
“The life lessons they will learn such as collaboration, communication, compromise as well as the more academic aspects such as finance, HR, corporate governance, marketing and branding will propel them forward in their future careers. We invite all students who wish to participate to submit their applications for this year’s competition to do so by the 9th of October 2020”.
The application form can be found here.
Deborah Midgley, Vice Chair & Student Liaison confirmed that the 2020-21 Student Company timetable is:
- Friday, 9th October 2020 – Student application closing date
- Tuesday, 13th October 2020 – Business Advisors induction
- Monday, 19th October 2020 – Student participants induction
- Tuesday, 20th October 2020 – 1st Student team meetings
- November 2020 – Presentation of business plans & business skills workshops
- December 2020 – Preparation for and participation in the local Christmas Markets
- January 2021 – Review and business skills workshops
- March 2021 – Mid-term markets & Rotary Dinner
- April 2021 – Preparation for the competition finals
- May 2021 – Competition judging and finals with winners announced
Val Cartwright – Secretary to the Board commented: “It is absolutely vital that we do everything we can to support the students and work with them pro-actively as we all navigate together through the ‘new normal’. Last year the Board, the students and their business advisors did a tremendous job adapting to the challenges introduced by COVID, and this year we will accommodate the recommended protocols to ensure the safely of everybody involved.”