The second Rocq Capital Island Championships were held this weekend at the Guernsey Padel Club at Longcamps.
In the glorious May sunshine, padel players from across the island came together to compete in five categories: Men’s Doubles, Ladies’ Doubles, Mixed Doubles, Men’s Vets and Ladies’ Vets (Over 45+).
After the success of the inaugural event last year, organisers were delighted to see the event go from strength to strength with 132 entries across the five events. The quality of play has significantly improved over the past year, and many new faces were seen in the draws. This led to only one title being retained.
- The Men’s Doubles was once again won by Jon Young and Rob West who beat Patrick Ogier and Nico Robinson (6-4, 3-6, 6-3) in a hotly contested final with some stunning shot making.
- In the other four events, all eight parings in the finals were different from last year, showing the depth of talent developing on the island. In the Ladies’s Doubles, Chantelle De La Mare & Helen Polli defeated Lauren Barker & Sara Woolland 6-2, 6-3.
- The Mixed Doubles was a family affair with siblings Chantelle & Matt De La Mare proving too strong for husband and wife team Jo & Ian Robinson. The Robinsons made a valiant comeback from 0-5 down in the second set but eventually lost 1-6, 3-6.
- In the Veterens’ Tournaments Andy Privett & Ian Robinson defeated Pierre Blampied & Tony Woodland (6-2, 6-1) to lift the Men’s trophy and Jo Robinson & Sara Woolland beat Natasha Bannister & Louise Inder (6-4, 7-5) to become Ladies’ Vets Champions.
Gary Naftel, Director of the Guernsey Padel Club said :“It was wonderful to see The Club buzzing across the whole weekend with players and spectators enjoying some wonderful sport. The standard of play across all events was high, and it was great to see so many spectators come down to the club to support the event.”
Stuart Perfitt, Managing Director of Rocq Capital said: “The Rocq Capital Padel Championships are now firmly embedded in the local sports calendar. Building on the inaugural event last year we were delighted to have many more competitors involved as the sport grows in popularity. The matches were very competitive and the playing standards was noticeably higher. Well done to all competitors and congratulations to the winners.
“This puts pressure on the island team selectors ahead of the first inter-insular later this summer here in Guernsey which is a great position to be in. Rocq Capital has confirmed its support of this event too. It’ll be great to have a Jersey team here at our wonderful facility. This looks likely to be the first inter island sports fixture since the Covid pandemic struck”.
The inter-insular event is currently pencilled for the weekend of 17th/18th July (subject to travel restrictions) and will see Men’s, Ladies’, Men’s Vets and Mixed events across a packed weekend of matches.
2021 Rocq Capital Island Padel Championships Results
- Men’s Doubles – Jon Young & Rob West def Patrick Ogier & Nico Robinson 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
- Ladies’s Doubles – Chantelle De La Mare & Helen Polli def Lauren Barker & Sara Woolland 6-2, 6-3
- Mixed Doubles – Chantelle & Matt De La Mare def Jo & Ian Robinson 6-1, 6-3
- Men’s Vets – Andy Privett & Ian Robinson def Pierre Blampied & Tony Woodland 6-2, 6-1
- Ladies’ Vets – Jo Robinson & Sara Woolland def Natasha Bannister & Louise Inder 6-4, 7-5