Jersey’s third annual Democracy Week will take place next week from Monday 26th to Friday 30th September.
This is an opportunity to connect with newly elected States Members, both in-person and online, and for Islanders of all ages to engage with Jersey’s unique political system in a variety of fun, creative ways. As part of this, Islanders are welcome to:
- Meet their elected representatives at informal Parish drop-in sessions or stop for an informal chat with States Members based at Brook Street, Monday to Thursday, 12-2pm
- Enter the Island Views poetry competition and/or participate in The Big Wander quiz which launched in August and remain open until midnight on Sunday 25th September. Winners will be announced and the prizes awarded on Friday 30th September, in the Royal Square
- Sign-up to a free guided tour of the States Chamber, led by the accredited Blue Badge Guides
- Attend or tune in to our online ‘Meet the Members’ Q&A session on Tuesday 27th to connect with and ask questions of elected representatives
- Follow the States Assembly on social media to learn more about different States Members in our ‘Meet the Member’ video series and interact with democracy-themed educational content
- Watch the new Jersey Youth Parliament discuss their campaign topics for the upcoming year
In addition, States Members will be delivering a range of activities in Island schools during the week, including Les Quennevais, Springfield, Samares, Beaulieu, Hautlieu, Plat Douet, St George’s and Le Rocquier.
Education Manager at the States Greffe, Molly Jehan, said: “We’re really excited to announce this year’s programme of activities. Following June’s election, our priority is to help Islanders of all ages to connect with their elected representatives and understand how to continue to use their voice to influence the future of Jersey. All activities are free of charge, with some great competition prizes on offer.”