Community retailer, The Channel Islands Co-operative Society, has today (7th April 2022) submitted an outline planning application for the redevelopment of Guernsey’s Leale’s Yard.
Located near to The Bridge, in St Sampson, Guernsey, Leale’s Yard presently comprises over 13 acres of undeveloped land with significant community wellbeing and social value potential.
The community led masterplan proposed within the planning application brings together a number of opportunities to maximise the site’s potential including over 320 new homes, a new purpose-built food and non-food retail store, a multi-storey carpark providing over 300 new parking spaces, and new civic, green and community spaces.
The Co-op say that the development of Leale’s Yard will bring many benefits to the Island, including:
- New energy-efficient, purpose-built homes, equivalent to more than 1% of the Island’s existing housing stock, delivered to meet the Island’s land-use and planning policy.
- More than £50 million of direct private sector capital investment during construction, and £150 million on local facilities management services after construction.
- Employment opportunities created both during and after construction, improving economic and social wellbeing.
- The creation of land and property with a rateable value, generating revenue for the Parishes, the local community, and helping to fund local and municipal services.
- Generating direct and indirect tax revenue for the States of Guernsey through investment, employment and management.
- Helping with the future regeneration of The Bridge and St Sampson Harbour areas, through providing parking near to and off The Bridge, improved connectivity, and a clear masterplan for the Leale’s Yard area.
- Helping Guernsey with healthy lifestyle and net zero carbon initiatives with low-energy homes, shared mobility schemes and a dedicated non-vehicle walkway connecting The Bridge to Lowlands Road.
With the application, The Channel Islands Coop is seeking to provide an economically viable and sustainable solution for the development of the site, which accords with the Island Development Plan and the Development Framework for the site. The significant financial investment will also help to bring wider social and environmental benefits and help to address the present housing crisis in
Guernsey too, with much of the development taking place and new homes being available within three years of a planning approval.
The retail store, the carpark, and the first residential homes will be available from three years after approval. All development works will be completed within five years of approval. To achieve certainty on these commitments, the Channel Islands Coop will partner with local suppliers and contractors to deliver the scheme, including JW Rihoy and Son Limited to deliver the construction works.
Mark Cox, Chief Executive Officer at the Channel Islands Coop, said: “The Leale’s Yard redevelopment is an exciting proposal for both the people and businesses in the St Sampson area, together with wider Guernsey. The plans will bring a wealth of new benefits for Islanders, from social and economic impacts to environmental sustainability and affordable housing.
“We have taken both our experiences gained thus far and the requirements of the Development Framework and developed plans for a ‘community-led’ development that, when completed, will be a real destination place for islanders.”
“We look forward to achieving a positive outcome from this application, and are confident that, when approved and developed, it will be fantastic for The Bridge area and beyond.”