From Jersey’s proposed infrastructure tax being voted down to another Guernsey Education Committee politician standing down, it’s been another busy week here in the islands.
We’ve seen the tender window opening for a new inter-island ferry service for visitors and commuters who want to do day trips by sea between the two Bailiwicks.
There was the small matter of £275million of borrowing being signed off to build Jersey’s new hospital, while Guernsey found half a billion pounds down the back of the sofa.
Here’s a guide to this week’s key moments as reported by Business Eye CI…
- Jersey’s infrastructure tax proposal has been demolished. Chamber welcome the result.
- Two members of Guernsey’s Education Committee have quit, while the vice-president of Economic Development resigns, hot on the heels of the president’s resignation.
- We were first to report on plans for dramatic changes to the swimming pool site at Jersey’s Fort Regent, including a skate park, climbing wall, diner and drive-in movie theatre.
- Nine potential operators including Condor Ferries and Bumblebee have shown a provisional interest in running a day trip ferry service between Guernsey and Jersey. The formal tender process has now begun.
- Guernsey’s Chief Minister, writing exclusively for Business Eye CI, outlined his hopes and aspirations for 2018, while arguing the island is a ‘good neighbour’ to both the UK and Europe.
- Funding for the biggest capital project in Jersey’s history for the green light. £275million can now be borrowed to part-cover the cost of a new hospital.
- Guernsey revised its estimate of how much money’s in the economy after it improved the data it used to calculate it. It added a cool half a billion to the bottom line.
- And we loved the Christmas greetings which closed the final States meeting of 2017 in Jersey’s parliament. It included a warning from the Bailiff and praise for the tea lady.
If you haven’t already, click here to sign up for our free daily email briefing. Start each morning with the day’s essential business stories waiting for you in your inbox.