The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) Jersey branch, finally managed to celebrate the success of their 2020 awarding winning students.
Normally a black-tie dinner in November, the event was rescheduled as an afternoon tea at the Royal Yacht hotel in June. By invitation only, the event was attended by sponsors and recipient of certificates and awards, with a maximum of 40 people in line with Government guidelines.
Top scoring STEP Jersey students were the recipients of six STEP Jersey Awards:
Abbie Wright, TMF Group, top award winner: the Aberdeen Standard Capital award for the highest scoring student in the STEP Diploma in International Trust Management.
Kathryn Abraham, HSBC, was the top scorer in three of the four papers leading to the STEP Diploma in International Trust Management, being presented with the:
- Dickinson Gleeson award for Trust Creation: Law and Practice
- RBC Wealth Management award for Trust Administration and Accounts
- MPI award for Trustee Investment and Financial Appraisal
Kathryn was eligible for an exemption for one of the four papers required to attain the STEP Diploma International Trust Management, therefore not eligible for the top award. In recognition of her high scores across the three papers she sat, Kathryn was presented with a Jersey STEP Award for Outstanding Achievement by Simon Aldous from STEP sponsor Savills.
Other top scoring award winners were:
- Kiran Guraya, HSBC, the Bedell Cristin award for the STEP Diploma, Company Law and Practice paper.
- Angela Parkin, Baccata Trustees, the Knight Frank award for the STEP Certificate in International Trust Management.
Achieving the highest marks in the world in the 2019 STEP examinations, two Jersey STEP branch members were presented with their 2020 STEP Worldwide Excellence Award certificates:
- Kiran Guraya, HSBC, for the Advanced Certificate in Company Law and Practice presented by Keith Dixon from STEP Jersey annual sponsor Carey Olsen.
- Phil Brown, Rawlinson & Hunter, for the Advanced Certificate in Trustee and Financial Appraisal, presented by Matthew Wilson from STEP Jersey annual sponsor Smith and Williamson.
Fiona McFarlane, chair of STEP Jersey said, “The commitment of our students remains at a high level and the results show the dedication and hard work of those who study for their STEP professional examinations. We are incredibly grateful to the award sponsors for sponsoring these awards and to the student’s employers for supporting their employees.”