Seymour Hotels, a leading Jersey hotel group responsible for 10% of the island’s bed stock, has concluded a substantial £5 million investment programme in preparation for the main summer season, sending a clear signal of increasing confidence in Jersey’s tourism industry.
The investment programme has covered all hotels in the group: The Merton Hotel; Merton Suites; Pomme d’Or Hotel and The Greenhills Country House Hotel. Highlights of the programme include:
- £2.3m invested in a move from steam to low temperature hot water systems across the Merton Hotel, providing significant environmental and economic savings.
- Complete IT infrastructure review and implementation across the Group. This includes a new Reservations, guest billing and EPOS system providing real time rates and sales data making the Group more accessible to traditional and online sales channels and driving an increase in visits to the Island.
- Switch from gas and steam to electric induction appliances in all kitchens, improving health and safety, hygiene as well as providing cost savings and ensuring more comfortable working environments.
- A move to LED lighting across the Group bringing both environmental benefits and energy savings.
- As part of the IT infrastructure, a cutting-edge maintenance system that enables jobs to be logged and tracked via mobile devices for up to the minute updates. This is critical for responding quickly to guest concerns and requirements. To appreciate the scale of activity, 4,750 jobs have been logged on the system between February and June with 4,383 completed.
- A new, market-leading filtration system in the Merton Aquadome ensuring this popular water leisure facility has the cleanest, clearest swimming water in Jersey.
- State of the art air conditioning units providing cleaner air in the Pomme d’Or Hotel.
- An all-weather floodlit multisport ball court providing facilities for visitors and locals to enjoy 5-a-side, unihoc, tennis, netball, basketball and other popular sports year-round.
- Refurbishment of the Merton Aquadome Gym with new cardio vascular and weight resistant equipment and the Cascades Poolside Café with a renewed focus on grab-and-go style healthy eating options.
- Brand new bathrooms in all Pomme d’Or Executive bedrooms with baths removed and replaced with walk-in showers to adapt to customer demands.
Commenting on the investment programme, Managing Director David Seymour said: “Seymour Hotels has been committed to Jersey’s tourism industry for almost 100 years with five generations of the Seymour family working in the business. This is a significant investment of our Group Resources into this important pillar of Jersey’s economy.
We provide leisure facilities that both residents and visitors continue to enjoy year-round with no grant support from Government. Our winter investment programme reinforces the confidence we have in Jersey’s tourism industry and reflects our commitment to the environment through energy savings and cutting-edge technology solutions. As a result, we can continue to meet and exceed customer requests in an increasingly demanding market. We are now in a position to respond to all market opportunities efficiently and effectively for the benefit of both our business and the Island as a whole.”