In response to the outbreak of COVID-19 in Jersey, the Listening Lounge has announced how it will be continuing to provide crucial free mental health support to Islanders during this period of uncertainty.
The physical doors of the Listening Lounge on Charles Street St Helier have closed to accommodate the Government’s social distancing rules, help prevent the spread of Coronavirus and to protect the health and safety of its staff and visitors. However, the Listening Lounge support services remain fully open and staff will be maintaining their support of Islanders over the age of 18 with their mental health needs online and over the phone during this time.
The following services will be in place:
- All initial assessment and counselling appointments will be offered via phone or online.
- The dedicated counselling team can contact clients via phone call or Zoom video conferencing – which will be used on an appointment only basis
- A dedicated phoneline has been introduced for anyone on the Island who is struggling with mental health issues such as feeling isolated or anxious due to the current uncertainties surrounding COVID-19, and for those looking to connect to people trained in emotional support. The ‘Listening Line’ helpline number is 01534 866793. The Listening Lounge team will have the facility to speak with more than one person at a time on this number. This line will be for informal support for anyone experiencing distress, loneliness, feeling isolated or with an existing mental health need and will be in place of the drop-in support previously offered in The Listening Lounge facility on Charles Street.
- Further information on the Listening Lounge will be available on linc.je which will outline different online agencies available to people, reputable information sites and interactive forums for additional support
- Wellbeing sessions will be delivered via live video link in the coming weeks encouraging islanders to stay active and take time to protect their mental health through mindfulness, relaxation and mediation techniques.
The opening times for all Listening Lounge services will remain as 10am – 10pm, until further notice.
Lucy Nicolaou, Head of Services for LINC, said: “We recognise that the outbreak of COVID-19 has impacted people in varying ways. It is understandable that during difficult times like this, people may be feeling a heightened sense of worry, anxiety and overwhelmed by the constantly changing alerts and media coverage regarding the spread of the virus and struggling with the subsequent changes in lifestyle by having to isolate. We would like to reassure all Islanders that we are still very much open and here to support them. If anyone is experiencing emotional difficulties during this time of uncertainty, we would encourage them not to struggle alone and to reach out and talk to us.”
Any new self-referrals to the Listening Lounge team can be made by individuals filling out the self-referral form on www.linc.je and emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org where a member of the team will be in touch to schedule an appointment.