There is so much going on this December and into the New Year to help Jersey Hospice Care raise much needed funds for the specialist services they provide to people with life limiting illnesses.
It is also a time when family and friends feel the loss of a loved one, so Jersey Hospice Care also has a number of events happening in the community to help bring people together at this special time of year.
- 1st to 31st December – 12 Bays of Christmas – kindly sponsored by F. Nicholson & Sons Ltd – Jersey Hospice Care are once again teaming up with the National Trust for Jersey for those people who are keen sea swimmers at any time of year. This festive challenge is only recommended for islanders who have continued swimming since the summer or are seasoned year-round swimmers to take a dip in 12 bays listed on a map between 1st and 31st December. Each bay on the list has a festively-themed name, for example Port let it snow, Jingle all the Ouaisne. Sign-up here
- 3rd December – Light up a Life – this event gives islanders an opportunity to remember someone special at this time of year by dedicating a light to them on the Jersey Hospice Care Christmas Tree. The lights will be lit during the Service of Remembrance to be held on Saturday 3rd December. You can watch the Light up a Life service on either the Jersey Hospice Care Website or Facebook page.
- 9th December – Win a New Fiat 500c Hybrid for Christmas – There’s still time to enter the Christmas Car Raffle. There are fewer than 500 tickets remaining which can be purchased for £30 each, up to Friday 9th December, with the draw taking place on Friday 16th December. For more information and to buy tickets click here.
- 11th December – Family & Friend Carol Service & Christmas Fayre – come along on Sunday 11th December at 3pm at St Andrew’s Church for a celebratory carol service to remember loved ones. Following the service there will be mince pies and local crafts at the Christmas Fayre in the Church Hall.
- 16th December – Festive Friday! – From hairdressers to offices, restaurants to shops, why not get in the Christmas spirit by holding Festive Friday in your workplace. Decorate a tree, wear a Christmas jumper or a silly hat, bake some Christmas goodies or enjoy a Christmas quiz. Post your activities to your Facebook and Instagram pages, then tag @jerseyhospicecare with the hashtag #FestiveFridayFundraising to help raise some festive funds.
- 25th December – Christmas Day Swims – If you’re feeling particularly brave on Christmas Day, Ouaisne Bay and The Watersplash are the places to be for a quick Christmas dip in the sea followed by warming refreshments afterwards. For The Old Smugglers Inn Ouaisne swim meet at 10:30 at the slip. For more information email here for more details. For the Watersplash Swim meet at 10:45 and remember to bring a donation for the collection bucket. For more information email here.
- January – Christmas Tree Collection and Recycling – Kindly Sponsored by Oak Group – While you’re looking to find the perfect Christmas Tree to be the centrepiece of your celebrations, please consider using Jersey Hospice Care’s tree-mendous team of volunteers to take the hassle out of recycling your Christmas tree in January. In return for a donation, the volunteers will pick up trees from outside registered people’s homes in January and deliver them to the green waste team at La Collette for conversion to soil improver for local farms and gardens. Register your tree here.