Barclays has opened a new branch within its office at St Julian’s Court, St Peter Port, and is celebrating a century of banking on the island.
On Monday 11th September, Stephen Oliphant, who worked at Barclays from 1960 – 2002, was Managing Director of Barclays Private Bank and Trust in Guernsey for 10 years, and is current Chair of the Pensioner’s Club, took part in a ribbon cutting ceremony and unveiled a plaque to mark the official opening of the new branch.
The new branch offers improved facilities, including the retention of counter services coupled with additional self-service options for depositing and withdrawing cash, with staff on-hand to offer guidance and support. The new banking hall boasts a larger footprint with an improved layout, allowing for clients to sit and discuss their needs with staff in a spacious and well-equipped environment.
For the past century, Barclays has supported the island’s economy and society through the provision of banking services to local businesses which form the core of the economy, and also by servicing the needs of personal customers requiring support, for example by providing mortgages to secure a home. For the last 10 years Barclays has supported young people in Guernsey with its LifeSkills resources, helping to prepare the next generation with the skills they need to improve their employability.
Justine Gaudion, Country Head of Barclays in Guernsey, said: “We are honoured to have been part of the community and economy of Guernsey for the past 100 years. A century on, we remain committed to helping islanders and local businesses thrive and transform, and to helping secure the future prosperity of Guernsey.
“We’re proud of the progress achieved through our collaborations on the island, and the opening of the branch at St Julian’s Court demonstrates our commitment to providing innovative products and services, ensuring we adapt to the evolving needs of our customers.”
Where it all began: A brief history of Barclays in Guernsey
- 1923: On 1st October Barclays opens its first branch on the island at 1 Fountain Street, St Peter Port
- 1940: Guernsey is occupied by German forces during World War Two. The bullion and ledgers from the branch are evacuated to London
- 1945: End of World War Two – Guernsey is liberated
- 1952: Barclays acquires new premises at 6-8 High Street, relocating the branch and trustee department
- 1967: Barclays opens a sub-branch at St Sampson on 11th September
- 1969: Barclays and Martins Bank merge
- 1970: Barclays opens a branch at St Martin on 2nd February
- 1970: Barclays Finance Company (Guernsey) opens. With no building society in Guernsey, Barclays makes £1 million available for mortgages
- 1982: High Street and Fountain Street branches are merged to form the St Peter Port branch
- 1982: Barclays launches a Barclaybank cash machine in Guernsey
- 1988: Business Centre at Le Marchant House, Hospital Lane opens as Barclays Guernsey’s HQ
- 2021: Barclays closes Le Marchant House HQ and relocates to St Julian’s Court
- 2023: Barclays relocates its branch from The High Street to St Julian’s Court
Pictured: Fountain Street branch pictured in 1950 – credit Barclays Group Archives