Appleby has been ranked in tier one across Guernsey, the Isle of Man and Jersey in the 2024 edition of The Legal 500 UK.
The Group has been noted for its “quality legal advice delivered without fuss” and ability to “work incredibly hard to meet tight deadlines”.
As the only offshore law firm with a presence in all three Crown Dependencies, Appleby secured top tier positions across eight practice areas in the Isle of Man (Banking, Finance and Capital Markets; Commercial Property; Corporate and Commercial; Dispute Resolution; Employment; Gambling; Insurance and Pensions; and Shipping and Aviation) and one each in Guernsey (Banking and Finance) and Jersey (Corporate and Commercial).
Six of the Group’s lawyers feature in The Legal 500 Hall of Fame, which is reserved for lawyers widely regarded as being at the very top of the profession having been consistently ranked as ‘leading individuals’ for a number of years. In addition, a further 26 Appleby lawyers have been recognised as ‘leading individuals’, ‘next generation partners’ or ‘rising stars’.
Client feedback cited within the directory includes the Isle of Man Dispute Resolution practice being described as “an excellent team of litigators, who can handle the most complex litigation on the island”, with another industry source praising the Corporate team as “extremely responsive and my go-to for Isle of Man regulatory advice”.
Appleby’s Corporate team in Jersey, which is now ranked in Tier One, offers “excellent market knowledge and commercial advice” as well as a “high level of attention to detail”, while the Dispute Resolution practice is recognised as a “well-established Jersey law firm in all the big cases”.
In Guernsey, the top ranked banking and finance team is considered “user friendly and accessible” with an ability to go “the extra mile in terms of assisting with complex transactions where often pragmatic solutions are needed”. Similarly, the Guernsey Dispute Resolution practice is noted for its “ability to come up with solutions that address the client’s legal needs in a complex litigation” and for its “high levels of service and quick turnarounds”.
A leading directory for the legal industry, The Legal 500 ranks law firms and lawyers following a thorough and independent research process which includes feedback from 300,000 clients, private practice lawyers and in-house peers as well as the assessment of a law firm’s own deals and confidential matters.
The Group’s individual rankings are as follows:
Hall of Fame
- Isle of Man – Charles Davies (Dispute Resolution), Mark Holligon (Dispute Resolution) and Caren Pegg (Employment)
- Jersey – John Bisson (Commercial Property), Fraser Robertson (Dispute Resolution) and Andrew Weaver (Investment Funds)
- Guernsey – Jeremy Berchem (Banking and Finance), Richard Sheldon (pictured) (Employment), Stuart Tyler (Corporate and M&A) and Anthony Williams (Dispute Resolution)
- Isle of Man – Garry Manley (Insurance and Pensions), Claire Milne WS (Gambling), Caren Pegg (Dispute Resolution), Kyle Sutherland (Banking, Finance and Capital Markets; Corporate and Commercial) and Juan Thornley (Corporate and Commercial)
- Jersey – James Gaudin (Capital Markets)
Next Generation Partners
- Guernsey – Richard Field (Dispute Resolution)
- Isle of Man – Tom Brook (Banking, Finance and Capital Markets; Corporate and Commercial), Claire Corkish (Dispute Resolution), Keira Gore (Dispute Resolution), Eleanor Harding (Banking, Finance and Capital Markets), Garry Manley (Corporate and Commercial) and Kyle Sutherland (Shipping and Aviation)
- Jersey – Jared Dann (Dispute Resolution), Christophe Kalinauckas (Banking and Finance; Capital Markets), Niall MacDonald (Employment) and Iain Miller (Corporate and Commercial)
- Isle of Man – Michelle Brook (Insurance and Pensions), Sophie Corkish (Banking, Finance and Capital Markets), Alexandra Dernie (Commercial Property), Katherine Garrood (Corporate and Commercial), Keira Gore (Employment), Eleanor Harding (Shipping and Aviation), Erin Trimble-Cregeen (Dispute Resolution) and Melissa Wong (Commercial Property; Private Client, Trusts and Tax)
- Jersey – Daniel Healy (Banking and Finance) and Paul Worsnop (Investment Funds)