After the year we’ve all had, what could be lovelier than sipping a cup of mulled cider in front of a glowing bonfire on a crisp autumnal evening? Seriously, what?
Hygge, cosiness, wellbeing – whatever you want to call it, we all need a bit of it, and whether you’re part of a crowd watching the skies light up at a public event or you’re lighting a sparkler in your back garden, Bonfire Night is a fantastic chance to enjoy some feel-good family fun.
Like a set of soggy sparklers, celebrations in Jersey this year might not quite sparkle the way many were hoping, with organised events having been cancelled due to Covid. That said, many islanders will be hosting private events instead, enjoying the fun of Bonfire Night in line with social distancing requirements.
If this is you, don’t forget to brush up on the latest advice from the Jersey Fire and Rescue Service, ensuring you mark the occasion as safely as possible.
For those in the Bailiwick of Guernsey, public events are still very much on the cards. But for those choosing to host a little something at home, again, be sure to check the latest advice from the States of Guernsey, which tells you everything you need to know from buying fireworks to being good neighbours.
For those looking to enjoy a public event, here’s a round-up of what’s banging on Bonfire Night in the Bailiwick this week. Oooh, ahhhhh…
2nd Guernsey Scout Group – Bonfire Night Party with Fireworks
- When: 5.30pm – 9pm, Thursday 5 November
- Where: Wayfarer Centre (2nd Guernsey Scouts), Vale, GY6 8NB
- What: The annual bonfire night party returns with a firework display at 7pm, plus hot food and drinks. Entry is £2 for adults, £1 for children.
Bonfire Night @ Northfield
- When: 6pm, Tursday 5 November
- Where: Northfield, St Sampson
- What: Hot food, a bar, a bonfire and a firework display at 7.15pm. Costs £5 for car parking
La Houguette School Fireworks
- When: 5pm-7pm, Friday 6 November
- Where: La Houguette School, St Peter’s
- What: Enjoy fireworks plus food, drinks, face painting and glow toys available for purchase. Parking is limited, so if possible park at L’eree and walk/cycle up the hill to the school. Entry is £15 for a family ticket, £5 per single ticket.
St Martin’s Fireworks and Bonfire
- When: 6pm, Saturday 7 November
- Where: St Martin’s AC, Blanche Pierre Lane
- What: There’ll be a Guy Fawkes judging competition for the best guy, as well as a bonfire, fireworks at 7pm, a meat draw at 8pm, plus food (including bean jar) and drink available, and a DJ at the club house.
Fireworks Night – It’s going to be a blast!
- When: 4.30pm – 11pm, Saturday 7 November
- Where: Guernsey Rugby Club, Footes Lane
- What: This annual event will offer food, drinks, sparklers and glowsticks and more, with the main display at 6pm. Entry is £2.
Sark Bonfire Night
- When: 4pm, Saturday 7 November
- Where: La Collinette Field
- What: This is Bonfire Night Sark style with live music from The Cor Damme Lars and Whose Shoes, plus hog and lamb roast, a late bar, fire spinning and, of course, a firework display.