RampArts illustrated poetry workshops with Traci O’Dea
RampArts brings a unique collaboration, between American poet Traci O’Dea and ten local illustrators.
You are invited to join this five part creative writing series, hosted at the Salvation Army Café, 6 pm until 7 pm, where you will progress from introduction and inspiration, to sharing and illustration!
Traci will use her vast experience and guidance to ensure you complete your literary journey with a poem great enough to read to others, and our illustrators will use their skills and styles to bring your words into a visual world.
- March 2: Introduction. Read provided poems to inspire. Start writing poems based on poetry prompts.
- March 16: Read and workshop classmates’ poems from previous week. Read more printed poems to inspire. Write new poems based on poetry prompts.
- March 23: Read and workshop classmates’ poems from previous week. Revise poems based on classmates’ and workshop leader’s feedback. Meet with illustrators to discuss which poem is best to illustrate. Collaborate with illustrator to decide on style, imagery, etc. Edit poems as needed based on feedback and sketches from illustrator.
- March 30: Continue illustrative collaboration between poet and illustrator. Use drawings to possibly inspire additional stanzas for poem. Decide together on final illustration and text.
- April 6: Create final illustration and text to be matted, framed, and exhibited at Salvation Army Cafe. Practice reading poems aloud.
- Refreshments are included for every session, no need to bring anything with you (unless you have a favourite pen!) Spaces are limited to 10 people, so make sure you get your ticket quickly, before they’re all gone!
An American poet living in Jersey, Traci O’Dea is the author of two poetry collections: Waving (Assure Press, 2021) and Restricted Movement (Scotland Street Press, 2021) for which she received a Seed Funding Grant from Arthouse Jersey.
Not only do you get the opportunity to work with the talented American poet Traci O’Dea, but you’ll also have the chance to be paired with one of these amazing local artists:
- Celine Edgar – Instagram: riffraffstudio / Facebook: riffraffstudioart
- Liam Nunn – Instagram: @liamnunn_artbox
- Hannah Brayshaw – Instagram: @hannahb_arts
- Theo Jenner – Instagram: @jerzilla_art / Website: theojenner.co.uk
- Reese Cousins – Instagram: @mossyc_arts
- Sam Greenwood – Instagram: @betwix_the_space_vapor
- Jon Vickers – Instagram: @inkvein.art
- Aimée De Averio – Instagram: @aimeedeaveiro
- Kelly Eastwood – Instagram: @kelly_eastwood_art / Website: http://www.kellyeastwood.co.uk
- Lucci Rotherham – Website: luccirotherham.wixsite.com/portfolio
Heather Brown of RampArts said: “Four of the ten illustrators on the project are Highlands College art students. They will gain experience working alongside some freelance illustrators in the group, and exposure outside of their curriculum. It’s so important for RampArts to support our up and coming local creatives, to help boost their confidence and growth throughout their creative journeys.
“The range of mediums, approaches and styles are so varied, they are a dream team! We can’t wait to see what images emerge as the poetry unwinds….”
This RampArts project will be celebrated with an exclusive poetry reading evening and an exhibition launch of the illustrations created in the workshop, which will take place at the Salvation Army Café, date to be confirmed.